323 (BG) 323 F, Coolant is getting dark..

Diskutiere 323 F, Coolant is getting dark.. im 121, 323, 626, 929 Forum im Bereich Technikbereich: Die klassischen Mazda Modelle; Hi. Sorry I don't speak German. I hope someone can help me anyway. I have a Mazda 323F SOHC 1,8 l -1990, 180000 km. It runs great but I noticed...
  • 323 F, Coolant is getting dark.. Beitrag #1

pacmyc

Hi.
Sorry I don't speak German. I hope someone can help me anyway.

I have a Mazda 323F SOHC 1,8 l -1990, 180000 km.
It runs great but I noticed that the coolant was dark so I replaced it and filled up with new blue coolant. After this I have been driving the car for maybe 30 km and the coolant in the reservoir has already turned dark / black again.
I see no traces of coolant in the oil, no white smoke or similar, no exhaust smell from the cooling system..
I also see no traces of rust or particles in the coolant.
Is the head gasket bad or could there be something else causing the color of the coolant to change?

I can't say if its oil in the coolant, I cant see any oil-film on the coolant surface..

The guy I bought the car from had no documentation of service etc and he didn't know anything about cars, so probably service maintenance has been ignored. Anyway there is NO RUST on the car so I had to buy it anyway..

• 323 F, Coolant is getting dark.. Beitrag #2
nikki80

nikki80

Mazda-Forum User
Auto
M 3 BL 2.0 150PS EZ 10/09 Sports Line AT
KFZ-Kennzeichen
I found this:

Kühlmittel ganz dunkel

May be it helps you .

• 323 F, Coolant is getting dark.. Beitrag #3
Skyhessen

Skyhessen

Mazda-Forum Urgestein
Auto
Mazda CX30 M-Hybrid G150, AT, EZ 6/21
KFZ-Kennzeichen
Zweitwagen
Mazda´s seit 1995 /// Peugeot 207 CC VTi
Maybe the cylinder head gasket is broken?
Look if you can see dark brown grease on the engine oil filler neck - this would be a clear sign. A small crack is enough for oil and coolant to mix.

• 323 F, Coolant is getting dark.. Beitrag #4

hjg48

Stammgast
upload_2019-4-28_13-37-55.png

• 323 F, Coolant is getting dark.. Beitrag #5
btun8

btun8

Neuling
Auto
Mazda 3 BM G120
Did you really flushed the whole system or was it just a change ?
It could be the old gunk in your system.
Use good quality coolant and don't mix it like the guys already told you.
If this doesn't help it could be the headgasket.

• 323 F, Coolant is getting dark.. Beitrag #6

pacmyc

Maybe the cylinder head gasket is broken?
Look if you can see dark brown grease on the engine oil filler neck - this would be a clear sign. A small crack is enough for oil and coolant to mix.

No, I can't see any oil there. Do you mean close to the oil cap?

• 323 F, Coolant is getting dark.. Beitrag #8

pacmyc

Did you really flushed the whole system or was it just a change ?
It could be the old gunk in your system.
Use good quality coolant and don't mix it like the guys already told you.
If this doesn't help it could be the headgasket.

No, didn't flush it. I just drained the plug, so I hope you are right.
I can't flush it with a hose because the water here is quite hard (much calcium) so I get water in containers from another place.
I'll probably try to change it once more and see if it gets clearer.
I guess there is no way to do a complete flush without a hose and some pressure?

• 323 F, Coolant is getting dark.. Beitrag #9
btun8

btun8

Neuling
Auto
Mazda 3 BM G120
With a hose it would be ideal , you can use distilled water, but it takes a couple a flushes to get it clear.

• 323 F, Coolant is getting dark.. Beitrag #10
Skyhessen

Skyhessen

Mazda-Forum Urgestein
Auto
Mazda CX30 M-Hybrid G150, AT, EZ 6/21
KFZ-Kennzeichen
Zweitwagen
Mazda´s seit 1995 /// Peugeot 207 CC VTi
@pacmyc
Normally the FL22 Fluid has a green colour. The main thing is, that you use some free of silicate.

I meant a brown-coloured grease, sometimes looking like margarine, when you look inside your oil filler. If you see something like that, than it could be a damaged headgasket. Than also you should have a cooling water loss ...?
If you drive a lot of short distances, a little brown oil sludge can also accumulate. Then you should drive with the engine once for a longer distance.

• 323 F, Coolant is getting dark.. Beitrag #11

pacmyc

@pacmyc
Normally the FL22 Fluid has a green colour. The main thing is, that you use some free of silicate.

I meant a brown-coloured grease, sometimes looking like margarine, when you look inside your oil filler. If you see something like that, than it could be a damaged headgasket. Than also you should have a cooling water loss ...?
If you drive a lot of short distances, a little brown oil sludge can also accumulate. Then you should drive with the engine once for a longer distance.

OK. No I don't see anything like that. I also replaced the vent cover gasket and didn't notice anything strange.
This car is my "hobbycar" so I don't drive it everyday. Never cold starts etc etc.

Thema:

323 F, Coolant is getting dark..

323 F, Coolant is getting dark.. - Ähnliche Themen

Was ist der Unterschied zwischen Nakama und Kizoku?: Hello. I need help please. Soon i will buy a used car - mazda 6 sw. I saw that in Germany you have two type of it. Nakama intense and Kizoku...
Vibrationen über 130km/h: Hi all, Last Friday my Mazda went for repair due to a "check engine light", the Code was P0011 - "A" Camshaft Position - Timing Over-Advanced or...
Neue Rückruf 3/CX-30: I-Stop: RECALL Mazda Europe-UK for BP Mazda 3 + DM CX-30 with 2.0l Engine M Hybrid which can Stall. MMC has decided to conduct a voluntary recall on the...
MX-5 (NB) Mazda MX5 NBFL Bodykit: Hallöchen! Ich bin Besitzer eines Mazda MX5 NBFL mit der größeren Maschine und würde mir sehr gerne ein Bodykit für den Wagen zulegen. Nach...
PLEASE HELP! Dashboard backlighting issue-It's not a fuse!: Hello, I have a CX 7, last month I needed to change a light bulb in the center console (the bulb for the fan speed control). After fitting the...
Oben